Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My axe, let me grind it

I was thinking of making gnocchi tonight with sweet potatoes. I saw this recipe and it look amazing (plus, 101 recipes is one of my fave blogs). We don't have any kale but we did get some collards at the FM this weekend....dinner is done!



My axe, let me grind it: "

If you’re one of those who likes to opine that they were a vegetarian for a while but you got sick then got stuck in to the meat again and then you were better, I immediately conclude that you are a giant child.


Let me back up. I’ve been a vegetarian for fifteen years now. For reference, I started when I was twelve, and I haven’t stopped since. I’ve had extensive bloodwork to investigate my arthritis, and my levels of every vitamin and mineral except vitamin D are completely normal, and vitamin D comes from the sunlight I strenuously avoid. If you’re reading this and thinking no, I tried being a vegetarian and I got totally sick because I am a delicate and unique snowflake and I need meat, then I am calling bullshit on you. If you got sick during your tenure as a vegetarian it’s because you did it wrong, and it is incredibly easy to do right. How do you do vegetarianism right? You eat a lot of different things, you eat often, and you quit your complaining.


I’m cranky because I’ve had a few encounters with anti-vegetarian and vegan sentiment, and I’m fed enough to want to declare to the whole internet that cheap jokes about sickly vegetarians are childish, and I am not the only one. I went to a comedy festival event on Monday where no fewer than three comics had a go at vegetarians and vegans, making lame jokes about ruined immune systems and lethargy and weakness, and I was wishing some vegan strongman would come in and throw a giant sweet potato at each shitty comic.


To be honest, the biggest reason for me remaining vegetarian so long was a teenage desire to prove it’s not a phase. After ten years I realised it wasn’t a phase, but I had no real desire to eat meat when I was healthy and energetic and ate better than most meat eaters I know. I love food, and I wouldn’t deprive myself, and there is a world of great food without meat.


So grow up, haters, and eat some goddamned kale, just as my cat does.


catkale.jpg


kale.jpg


gnocchi.jpg


Pan fried gnocchi and kale

Serves two. Via 101 Cookbooks.



  • A bunch of kale

  • A packet of gnocchi

  • A garlic clove, smashed

  • Parmesan, if you eat it.


Remove the stems from the kale and slice finely. Put into a colander and wash very well. Heat a slug of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and add the gnocchi in a single layer. Turn once, when appropriately browned and crusty. Turn in the kale and garlic and cook, 4-5 minutes, until the kale reduces a little and tastes cooked. Add salt and pepper. Serve with parmesan, if you eat it, not that I’d judge if you didn’t.


Share This
"
\

No comments: