Tuesday, April 27, 2010

avocado salad with carrot-ginger dressing

Look at the recipe that smittenkitchen.com put up. I love a good ginger dressing and believe it or not, I have never made one (neither "good" nor "bad). Once we are moved this is going to be on the top of my Food To Do list.

In other news, I am powering through our pantry items. Yesterday I made rye crackers and sandwich bread from King Arther's cook book (together a good 6 cups of different flours). Also, I made a split pea soup with the last dry pack of peas. The soup was better than I thought it would be. I replaced the celery and carrot ingredient suggestion on the back of the bag with canned tomatoes and basil. So, it was more Italian inspired. I cannot wait for lunch left overs.


avocado salad with carrot-ginger dressing: "

avocado carrot ginger salad


A few weeks ago, a commenter (hi, Kate!) tipped me off to the Avocado Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing in Gwyneth Paltrow’s GOOP newsletter. Yes, that Gwyneth Paltrow, from Duets! She has a newsletter dedicated to “nourishing the inner aspect” which I have to be completely honest, I have no idea what that is and hope that doesn’t mean I don’t have one. I’m also not convinced that I’m full of impurities and toxins, thus I’m not really into cleanses and detoxes she discusses in this newsletter and I’m understandably suspect of borderline-starvation fasts that promise a quick shedding of holiday excess.

carrot, ginger, shallot, onion, avocado

a carrot


But I really love a good avocado salad. And my husband thinks that carrot-ginger dressings are pretty much the best thing ever. He always talks about one he’d get in college from a place called Around the Clock (it is now a Japanese bakery, next to St. Marks Books) and how he’d always crave it and how nobody really makes it as perfectly as they did, or nobody before I tried Paltrow’s version — “You got the recipe just right!”


into the food processor


... Read the rest of avocado salad with carrot-ginger dressing on smittenkitchen.com

No comments: