Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cheese Puffs

My oh my these look good. The last time I made a "puff" I made it with whole wheat and oat flours. I liked it apart from the richness (I think there was far to much butter). I may have to try this with half the butter and see what the result will be....


Cheese Puffs: "

cheese-puffs.<spanjpg src="http://weelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/cheese-puffs.jpg">


Months ago I did a recipe for cheese wafers and so many parents emailed me afterwards to say they were a total hit. While testing recipes the other day, I was thinking about how much kids love cheese and bread (I mean, what’s not to love) and I thought it would be fun to try making my own cheese puffs. I can’t tell you how many of these we ate the day we made them. They seemed to just go from oven to mouth! I won’t say this is the most nutritious weelicious recipe of all time, but it you’re craving something cheesy, at least these puffs aren’t loaded with all the fillers and preservatives you’ll find in store bought brands.


In France, cheese puffs go by the fancier name of gougeres, but no matter what you decide to call them, they’re delicious.


Cheese Puffs (Makes 30-40 Puffs)


1 Cup Milk

1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter

1/2 Tsp Salt

1 Cup All Purpose Flour

1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese or Gruyere, shredded

1/4 Cup Parmesan

6 Large Eggs, divided (5 eggs for the cheese puffs and one for brushing on top of the cheese puffs)


1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Combine the first 3 ingredients in a pot and cook over low heat until the milk is warm to the touch (about 2 minutes).

3. Add the flour to the pot and continuously stir with a wooden spoon or a spatula until the mixture is thoroughly combined –about 3 minutes (the mixture will turn from white to a golden yellow and form into a dough).

4. Transfer the mixture to a food processor along with the cheese and blend until cheese melts and is combined.

5. Add 5 large eggs, one at a time until the dough is smooth and thick.

6. Scoop out 1 tbsp of the dough and drop on to a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet.

7. Whisk the remaining egg with 1 teaspoon of water in a bowl and brush the cheese puffs just to coat (this is not a necessary step, it just makes the puffs shiny).

8. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.

9. Cool and serve.

"

Recipe:

Direction:

Alternatives:

Uses:

No comments: